Document Notarisation


Our Notary Public services for documents to be used anywhere around the world are:

  • Taking oaths and declarations
  • Witnessing unsworn documents
  • Verification of copy documents
  • Notarial certificates for legalising / apostille
  • Drawing up documents

Usually the main point of having documents notarised is for the notary to authenticate the person signing them in reference to specific identification such as a passport, national ID card or driver licence.  If documents are not notarised properly, they may be unenforceable, voidable or even illegal.

Depending on the formality required by the end-user, other steps may also be necessary.  Strictly speaking, they are necessary in every case.


Following our notarial work, document legalisation by a Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) officer is usually required by the end-user of the notarised documents.

In short, this is a government procedure authenticating our Ross Lee as being a commissioned Notary.  Legalisation is either by:

  • DFAT Apostille for Hague Convention signatory nations; or
  • DFAT Authentication for the other nations.

Document Legalisations (Apostilles and Authentications) are provided over the counter 8.30 am to 1.00 pm Monday to Friday at DFAT Brisbane, 150 Charlotte Street, Brisbane.  Simple legalisation work is done while you wait.  Complex work is left with DFAT for collection later.

There may be a wait time of one to two weeks for DFAT Brisbane appointments.  To minimise delay, we suggest you call DFAT immediately after you make the appointment with us. DFAT Brisbane is on (07) 3405 4799.

Alternatively documents can be express-posted or couriered to;

Australian Passport Office Authentications Section

GPO Box 2239


The DFAT fee is currently $83 per Apostille or Authentication.  Each separate document will probably require Legalisation and incur the fee.

The DFAT Document Legalisation Request Form can be accessed here.

For more information browse the Smart Traveller website here.


Some clients will also require assistance from an Embassy or Consulate of the relevant overseas country.  In practice, this can be after DFAT legalisation or sometimes, instead of it. 

For a full list of Embassies and Consulates click here.